Sunday, April 12, 2009

Drinking and Diabetes

I love the diabetes example as a metaphor for the disease model of alcoholism. If I find out I'm diabetic, I learn quickly that I am powerless over the condition and need to modify my lifestyle or face some disappointing consequences.

I also apply this idea when clients say "well, I'm an alcoholic. That's why I drank." No, that's not true. If I'm a diabetic and I eat a donut and go into a coma, did I go into a coma because I'm a diabetic? No way! I went into a coma because I ate a donut. Once I know I'm an alcoholic, if I drink, it's because I chose not to take care of myself and do the things I needed to do. I chose not to call my sponsor, go to therapy, eat right, sleep enough, etc. Drinking prior to understanding I'm an alcoholic isn't a choice, but once I see that I have a disease, the decision is mine.

No comments: